Monday, April 16, 2018

A Very Interesting Video (Thoughts on Pokémon Snap)

Pokémon Snap is probably still one of my favorite N64 games to this day if I had to pick. It was, and this is a bit embarrassing, but my first Pokémon game that I've ever played. I watched the anime, read the comics, I had Pokémon storybooks, plastic figures, VHS tapes, and bedsheets. But unlike many people who started with Red, Blue, Yellow or even Silver, Gold or Crystal... My first game was Pokémon Snap and I was just absorbed into this world. I even had a small book that I taped pictures I took of my Pokémon toys into, mimicking the gameplay. I'm one of the loud but few Pokémon fans clamoring for a sequel. So far the closest we've gotten was that one 3DS dream world game where you used the 3DS's AR cameras to find Pokémon in the "real world" to capture them, and the AR photo feature in Pokémon Go, if you are being generous. So naturally, when I saw youtube's algorithms recommending me a video analysis on Pokémon Snap I click it. And I'm glad I did! It does get the fact wrong that Snap was the first game to have 3d Pokémon (Pokémon Stadium beats it by half a year but Snap got a worldwide release first). But that aside it is a very interesting look at how Snap toys with and combines both puzzle and on-rails shooter mechanics. With how the video puts it, I'm almost a bit surprised that the game wasn't more influential than it was. But I guess that just how it goes sometimes with "kiddie" stuff. Anyway here is the vid:


No comments:

Post a Comment